April 26, 2014
FORT WORTH, Texas -
Oklahoma State’s women’s tennis team advanced to the final round of the Big 12 Tennis Championships for the second-consecutive year after defeating third-seeded Texas, 4-1, in the conference semifinals at the Friedman Tennis Center in Fort Worth, Texas, on Saturday. It marks the first time in the Big 12 era that the Cowgirls reached two-straight Big 12 finals.
“I’m very excited about the way our girls competed today,” Cowgirl tennis coach Chris Young said. “I think that it was the mindset the girls came in with. They wanted to compete with this team and wanted to battle. We competed all the way down the line. The girls competed and they believed. That was what was important.”
The Cowgirls (15-7) picked up the doubles point with wins on two and three. Maria Alvarez and Karyn Guttormsen were the first to strike, defeating Pippa Horn and Lina Padegimaite, 8-4, on three. Carla Tur Mari and Kanyapat Narattana clinched the point for Oklahoma State when they downed Ratnika Batra and Neda Koprcina, 8-1, on two.
Tur Mari expanded the Cowgirl lead to two after toppling Horn, 7-5, 6-1, on five. The win was the Cowgirl freshman’s second straight-set triumph of the weekend.
Narattana followed Tur Mari’s win with a straight-set victory of her own. The senior defeated 104th-ranked Batra of Texas, 6-1, 6-4, on three to put the Cowgirls only one point away from the conference championship.
The Longhorns added their only point of the match when No. 15 Breaunna Addison defeated freshman Viktoriya Lushkova on one. After dropping the first set, Lushkova battled neck-and-neck with Addison throughout the second, but fell short in a 7-5 tiebreaker.
“I am so happy and proud to be on this team,” Alvarez said. “Everyone fought so hard today, so I thought that we deserved to get to the final again. We have another chance tomorrow, so we have to take it.”
“We are excited about our match with Baylor,” Young said. “Obviously we had a good match with them at the Big 12 tournament last year and had a good match with them this year. This year, we didn’t feel like we played as well, so we were hoping to get another shot at them. They’re a team that hasn’t lost in the league yet, so they’re going to be a very tough match for us. Our girls will be prepared. We’re going to go out, compete and see what happens.”
The Cowgirls will compete against top-seeded Baylor in the final round of the Big 12 tournament on Sunday at 1 p.m.
No. 2 Oklahoma State 4, No. 3 Texas 1
April 26, 2014 | Friedman Tennis Center | Fort Worth, Texas
Singles | Order of finish: 5,3,1,6
1. #15 Breaunna Addison (UT) def. #44 Viktoriya Lushkova (OSU) 6-2, 7-6(5)
2. Megan McCray (OSU) vs. #120 Elizabeth Begley (UT) 6-2, 4-6, 5-4, unfinished
3. Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) def. #104 Ratnika Batra (UT) 6-1, 6-4
4. Katarina Adamovic (OSU) vs. Neda Koprcina (UT) 6-1, 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
5. Carla Tur Mari (OSU) def. Pippa Horn (UT) 7-5, 6-1
6. Maria Alvarez (OSU) def. Lina Padegimaite (UT) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
Singles | Order of finish: 3,2
1. Viktoriya Lushkova/Katarina Adamovic (OSU) vs. Breaunna Addison/Elizabeth Begley (UT) 7-6, unfinished
2. Carla Tur Mari/Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) def. Ratnika Batra/Neda Koprcina (UT) 8-1
3. Maria Alvarez/Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) def. Pippa Horn/Lina Padegimaite (UT) 8-4