April 25, 2014
FORT WORTH, Texas -
Oklahoma State’s women’s tennis team opened the Big 12 tournament on the right foot, knocking off Kansas State, 5-0, at the Friedman Tennis Center in Fort Worth, Texas, on Friday. With the win, the No. 2 seed Cowgirls advanced to the conference semifinals for the second-straight year.
"Today was one of the best days for us as a team,” Cowgirl tennis coach Chris Young said. “Everyone was locked in. This is the time where you need to play your best tennis and today was a good step toward that. We know that we have a battle tomorrow in the semifinals, but I think the girls really started the tournament off well."
The Cowgirls (14-7) took the doubles point with wins on one and three to jump out to an early lead. Viktoriya Lushkova and Katarina Adamovic handled Kansas State’s Petra Niedermayerova and Amina St. Hill, 8-1, in the top doubles spot. Maria Alvarez and Karyn Guttormsen clinched the point for Oklahoma State after toppling Maria Panaite and Livia Cirnu, 8-3, on three.
Freshman Carla Tur Mari opened things up for the Cowgirls in singles, defeating Iva Bago, 6-1, 6-1, on six to stretch the Cowgirl lead to two.
Megan McCray posted a straight-set win on two to put the Wildcats’ backs against the wall. McCray had no trouble on Friday, downing Palma Juhasz, 6-0, 6-3, to pick up her 23rd win of the season.
Senior Kanyapat Narattana gave the Wildcats the knockout punch in the form of a 6-1, 6-0 rout over Kansas State’s Maria Panaite on three. Simultaneously, Katarina Adamovic posted a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Amina St. Hill on four to give the Cowgirls their fifth point.
"One thing we talked about was coming out and having a dominant performance, which we did,” Young said. “It helps us to get out of the heat and get rest while our opponents battle it out. Hopefully that will give us a little bit of an advantage. The big thing for us is just being able to do this again tomorrow."
The Cowgirls will return to the Friedman Tennis Center to face third-seeded Texas in the conference semifinals on Saturday at 3 p.m.
No. 2 Oklahoma State 5, No. 7 Kansas State 0
April 25, 2014 | Friedman Tennis Center | Fort Worth, Texas
Singles | Order of finish: 6,2,3,4
1. #44 Viktoriya Lushkova (OSU) vs. #51 Petra Neidermayerova (KSU) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
2. Megan McCray (OSU) def. Palma Juhasz (KSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) def. Maria Panaite (KSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Katarina Adamovic (OSU) def. Amina St. Hill (KSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) vs. Livia Cirnu (KSU) 3-6, 0-3, unfinished
6. Carla Tur Mari (OSU) def. Iva Bago (KSU) 6-1, 6-1
Doubles | Order of finish: 1,3
1. Viktoriya Lushkova/Katarina Adamovic (OSU) def. Petra Neidermayerova/Amina St. Hill (KSU) 8-1
2. Carla Tur Mari/Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) vs. Palma Juhasz/Iva Bago (KSU) 7-3, unfinished
3. Maria Alvarez/Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) def. Maria Panaite/Livia Cirnu (KSU) 8-3