March 25, 2013
OSU Advances to Second Round at NCAA Championship
Oklahoma State’s women’s basketball team won its third consecutive first-round game at the NCAA Championship on Sunday against DePaul. The Cowgirls defeated the Blue Demons, 73-56, to set up a matchup against fifth-ranked Duke on Tuesday. The contest will tip at 6 p.m. (CST) and will be televised by ESPNU.
What 2 Watch 4
-Toni Young will be looking to record her fourth consecutive double-double. She has 16 on the season and 37 for her career.
-In three career NCAA games, Young has two 20-point outings and a pair of double-figure rebounding efforts. She is averaging 18.3 points and 9.7 boards per contest in those games.
- The Cowgirls are 2-2 all time in NCAA second-round games, advancing to the round of 16 in 1991 and 2008.
- Brittney Martin has 93 steals on the season and is four shy of moving into fourth place on the school’s single-season list.
- A win would be OSU’s 23rd and would tie the program’s 1992-93 total for the fourth best in school history.
-The Cowgirls have played seven ranked teams this year, including three in the top five, and have posted a 2-5 mark in those contests.
- OSU is 5-37 all time against teams ranked in the top five with its last victory over a top-five foe coming on Jan. 9, 2010 against fifth-ranked Baylor.
-Duke will be the third No. 2 seed OSU has faced in NCAA play. The Cowgirls are 0-2 against No. 2 seeds with a loss at Georgia in 1996 and a setback against LSU in 2008 in New Orleans.
Know The Foe
-Duke sports a 31-2 record overall, including a 15-0 mark at home.
-The Blue Devils have appeared in 19 consecutive NCAA Tournaments and will bring a 17-game winning streak at home in NCAA play into Tuesday’s contest.
-Duke’s current five-game winning streak includes three victories at the ACC Tournament.
OSU vs. Duke … The Series
-The Cowgirls and Blue Devils have met on three previous occasions with Duke winning all three contests.
-The first meeting came on March 16, 1995 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and resulted in a 76-54 Blue Devil victory.
- OSU’s first trip to Durham came on Nov. 14, 2008 and saw Duke come away with a 77-68 win.
- The two teams squared off in Stillwater on Dec. 12, 2010 with Duke emerging with a 73-45 victory.
-The Cowgirls improved to 8-10 all time in NCAA Tournament games.
-Toni Young logged her 37th career double-double, which ties her for second on Oklahoma State’s all-time list.
-Kendra Suttles recorded her second double-double of the year and finished the contest with a career-high 13 rebounds.