March 19, 2014
Oklahoma State Cowgirls
23-8 overall; 11-7 Big 12
No. 21 AP, No. 18 USA Today Coaches
Head Coach Jim Littell (Southwestern College, 1977)
3rd Year at OSU (66-31); 3rd Year Overall (66-31)
Saturday :: March 22, 2014 :: 10 a.m. (CST)
West Lafayette, Indiana
Mackey Arena (14,264)
OSU’s All-Time NCAA Championship Record (8-11)
NCAA Appearances (12)— 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2014
• OSU’s best NCAA seed was a No. 3 in 2008.
• OSU has reached the Sweet 16 on two occasions (1991, 2008).
• OSU has played three overtime games in NCAA Tournament history. The most recent coming against Georgia in the second round in 2010.
• Andrea Riley was OSU’s first Regional All-Tournament Team selection, earning the honor in 2008.
• OSU’s 2010 win over Chattanooga saw the Cowgirls erase a 19-point deficit en route to a 70-63 win.The 19-point margin was the eighth-largest overcome to win a game in Division I history.
• Four of OSU’s NCAA wins have come in its last three appearances.
What 2 Watch 4
• The Cowgirls will make their 12th NCAA Tournament appearance on Saturday when they face Florida Gulf Coast at 10 a.m. (CST) in West Lafayette, Ind., at Purdue’s Mackey Arena.
• OSU will serve as the No. 5 seed in the South Bend Regional. FGCU is the No. 12 seed. The winner will face the Purdue-Akron winner on Monday.
• The contest will be televised by ESPN2 with Melissa Lee and Jimmy Dykes handling the call.
• The Cowgirls have a 6-5 record all time in first-round NCAA games and have won their opening game in each of their last three appearances.
• A win would be OSU’s 24th of the year, matching the third-best season total in school history.
• A win would also be the Cowgirls’ 68th over the past three years and would tie the school’s best three-year run, which took place from 2008-10.
• Tiffany Bias has played at least 40 minutes in 13 of OSU’s last 20 games and now has 38 career outings of 40 minutes or more.
• Bias is also slated to make her 109th consecutive
start, a string that dates back to her freshman year.
• Bias’ 765 career assists are six shy of third place in league history held by Kansas’ Angel Goodrich.
• Bias has 290 career steals and is ninth on the league’s all-time list. She is 13 shy of catching Texas Tech’s Monique Smalls for eighth place.
• Brittney Martin had double-doubles in each of OSU’s last two games and four of its last five tilts.
Know The Foe
• FGCU stands at 26-7 and 17-1 in league play.
• The Eagles have won four consecutive Atlantic Sun regular-season titles and will make their second NCAA appearance in the past three seasons.
• Karl Smesko was named the league coach of the year, Sarah Hansen was its player of the year and Whitney Knight was a first-team all-league pick.
• OSU enters NCAA play with an RPI of 28.
• OSU posted a 7-8 record this season against teams in the NCAA field. The Cowgirls own wins over Georgia Tech, Iowa State (twice), Michigan State, Oklahoma, Southern California and Texas.
• All eight of OSU’s losses came against teams in the field with five of those losses coming against Big 12 co-champions Baylor and West Virginia.
• The Cowgirls also do not have a loss outside the RPI top 60.