April 27, 2012
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - The Oklahoma State men's tennis team's 2012 season came to a close on Friday when it fell to No. 28 and third-seeded Baylor, 4-0, in the opening round of the Big 12 Championships.
The Bears stormed to a 1-0 lead in the dual with two quick 8-1 victories at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles to earn the early point. The Cowboy duo of Rifat Biktyakov and Vlad Bondarenko was holding its own against No. 74 Diego Galeano and Mate Zsiga, as the score was tied at 4-4 when the doubles point was decided.
The sixth-seeded Cowboys weren't able to find much traction in singles matches either, as Baylor took the first three to win the match. No. 16 Zsiga took down No. 104 Bondarenko in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, to earn the Bears second point. Julian Bley defeated Alejandro Carstens at No. 6, and Kike Grangeiro beat Trevor Horstmann at No. 5 to finish off the match.
The dual also marked the final time James Wadley would coach the Cowboys after 40 years at the helm of the program.
"We played a little better at home, but they came back and we added another player that had been out which makes a lot of difference in the lineup," Wadley said. "They're a quality team and we're just a little shorthanded. They played well in the end and a little bit better than we did.
"Last time we scared them just a little bit, not a lot, but this time they were just too strong."
The Cowboys finish the year at 7-14, while Baylor improves to 16-10.
(3) No. 28 Baylor 4, (6) Oklahoma State 0
DOUBLES | Order of finish: 2, 3
SINGLES | Order of finish: 1, 6, 5
1. #16 Mate Zsiga, BU def. (#104) Vlad Bondarenko, OSU 6-1, 6-3
2. #100 Roberto Maytin, BU vs. Rifat Biktyakov, OSU 7-5, 4-3, DNF
3. Marko Krickovic, BU vs. Chris Haworth, OSU 6-3, 4-0, DNF
4. Diego Galeano, BU vs. Eric West, OSU 6-0, 5-5, DNF
5. Kike Grangeiro, BU def. Trevor Horstmann, OSU 6-3, 6-1
6. Julian Bley, BU def. Alejandro Carstens, OSU 6-2, 6-1