Feb. 3, 2013
LINCOLN, Neb. -
Rifat Biktyakov’s victory over Marc Hermann helped Oklahoma State cap off an undefeated weekend in the Cowboys’ 4-3 comeback defeat over Nebraska.
Down 3-1 after the first half of singles matches, the Cowboys began the comeback with Chris Haworth’s straight sets victory over Andre Stenger. Shortly after, Oleksiy Arovin held off Andre Dzulnsky to win 6-1, 7-5 at the No. 6 spot.
Down a set with the score tied at three, Biktyakov clawed his way back to win a thrilling match over Marc Herrmann, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. The win completed the come from behind victory for head coach Jay Udwadia and the Cowboys.
“We showed an amazing team effort by being down 1-3 and coming back,” Udwadia said. “Rifat showed a lot of heart and confidence at the end. With respect to Nebraska, it was nice to get a close victory.”
OSU (4-2) was also aided by the match’s decisive doubles point, earned by Chris Haworth and three Cowboy newcomers.
After Haworth and Denys Pume gave the Cowboys the early doubles lead, Oleksiy Arovin and Brady Bohrnstedt defeated Brandon Videtich and Marc Herrmann 8-5 to seal the doubles point. Despite playing without Richard Del Nunzio, his primary doubles partner, Pume was able to improve his undefeated doubles record to 5-0.
With a three-game winning streak at hand, the Cowboys will return to action against Missouri-Kansas City on Feb. 9. The match will be played in Oklahoma City at Quail Creek Country Club.
1. Matt Campbell/Rifat Biktyakov (OSU) vs. Andre Stenger/Sebastian Florczyk (NU) 5-7 u.f.
2. Chris Haworth/Denys Pume (OSU) def. Dusty Boyer/Bradford Zitsch (NU) 8-2
3. Oleksiy Arovin/Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Brandon Videtich/Marc Herrmann (NU) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3
1. Rifat Biktyakov (OSU) def. Marc Herrmann (NU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Chris Haworth (OSU) def. Andre Stenger (NU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Dusty Boyer (NU) def. Denys Pume (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Eric Sock (NU) def. Matt Campbell (OSU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Oleksiy Arovin (OSU) def. Andre Dzulnsky (NU) 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish: 3, 5, 4, 2, 6, 1