Jan. 27, 2013
OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -
Oklahoma State’s men’s tennis squad displayed a solid team performance in a 7-0 sweep of Western Illinois on Sunday in the Cowboys' home opener.
The Cowboys got out to a quick 1-0 lead after Chris Haworth and Trevor Horstmann hung on to defeat Brandon Meeker and Mitch Granger, 8-6. Richard Del Nunzio and Denys Pume continued their winning ways with an 8-5 comeback triumph over Ben Yue and Patrick Hammers.
Brady Bohrnstedt overcame an ankle injury to give the Cowboys the singles edge in his 6-1, 6-2 victory over Mitch Granger. Del Nunzio followed Bohrnstedt’s effort with a win of his own, defeating Bradley Holt 6-2, 6-2.
OSU (2-2) clinched the team win after Matt Campbell’s 7-5, 6-0 victory over Ben Yue. Trevor Horstmann won a thrilling tiebreak over Max Cederkall to give the Cowboys the clean sweep.
“For our first home opener, we definitely wanted to come out and play well,” coach Jay Udwadia said. “Having a lot of fans come out was definitely nice. We wanted to play a solid match and continue the good things we’ve been doing in practice, which we did.”
Haworth, Del Nunzio and Campbell each earned their first victories of the season, with all three winning in straight sets.
The Cowboys will look to earn the team’s second consecutive win when they match up against Illinois State on Feb. 2.
1. Richard Del Nunzio/Denys Pume (OSU) def. Ben Yue/Patrick Hammers (WIU) 8-5
2. Brady Bohrnstedt/Matt Campbell (OSU) vs. Cristoph Haertel/Bradley Holt (WIU) 5-5 uf.
3. Chris Haworth/Trevor Horstmann (OSU) def. Brandon Meeker/Mitch Granger (WIU) 8-6
Order of finish 3, 1
1. Chris Haworth (OSU) def. Cristoph Haertel (WIU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Denys Pume (OSU) def. Patrick Hammers (WIU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Richard Del Nunzio (OSU) def. Bradley Holt (WIU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Matt Campbell (OSU) def. Ben Yue (WIU) 7-5, 6-0
5. Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Mitch Granger (WIU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Trevor Horstmann (OSU) def. Max Cederkall (WIU) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
Order of finish 3, 2, 5, 1, 4, 6