Jan. 20, 2013
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -
Oklahoma State’s men’s tennis team raced out to a quick start, but couldn’t finish in a back and forth battle with 71st-ranked East Tennessee State.
After splitting the squad’s matches with #19 Tennessee and Tennessee Tech on Saturday, the Cowboys came into Sunday looking to leave Knoxville with a winning record.
Richard Del Nunzio and Denys Pume helped OSU (1-2) jump out to a quick doubles lead by defeating Juan Ramirez and Jorge Varon, 8-3. The victory marked an undefeated weekend for the duo, leaving the pair at 3-0 for the season.
Rifat Biktyakov and Matt Campbell won their first doubles match of the season, beating Jesus Bandres and Rogerio Ribeiro, 8-1, and handing the Cowboys the match’s doubles point.
However, Chris Haworth, Del Nunzio and Campbell fell in succession in each player’s singles match to put Oklahoma State behind the Golden Eagles in the overall score. Pume won his second consecutive match to bring the Cowboys close at 3-2, but Ricardo Pabon’s 7-5, 6-2 victory over Oleksiy Arovin put Oklahoma State away for good.
The Cowboys return to action against Western Illinois on Jan. 27th. Oklahoma State will host the match at Oak Tree Country Club in Edmond.
#71 East Tennessee State 4, Oklahoma State 2
1.Jesus Bandres (ETSU) vs. Rifat Biktyakov (OSU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-4, uf.
2. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Chris Haworth (OSU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Denys Pume (OSU) def. Jorge Varon (ETSU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) def. Richard Del Nunzio (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) def. Oleksiy Arovin (OSU) 7-5, 6-2
1. Rifat Biktyakov/Matt Campbell (OSU) def. Jesus Bandres/Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) 8-1
2. Richard Del Nunzio/Denys Pume (OSU) def. Juan Ramirez/Jorge Varon (ETSU) 8-3
3. Ricardo Pabon/Roger Ordeig (ETSU) vs. Brady Bohrnstedt/Oleksiy Arovin (OSU) 2-7, uf.
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,5,4,3)