Boone Pickens Stadium

Boone Pickens Stadium is the oldest football stadium in the Big 12 Conference, and one of the oldest on-campus college football stadiums in the country. The stadium has been reborn as a state-of-the-art facility that not only provides Oklahoma State football with a unique game-day environment and a roaring home-field advantage, but also with unrivaled facilities for daily operations located in incredibly convenient proximities.

View Photo Gallery

Field Opened 1901
Field Named 1913
Stadium Built 1919
Capacity 60,218
Largest Crowd 60,218 (2013)
Surface Football Pro
Suites 99
Save to foursquare
The relocation of the Cowboy football operations to the West End Zone in the summer of 2009 punctuates one of the largest building projects in recent NCAA history. And the result is the new home of Cowboy football.

Boone Pickens Stadium is now a state-of-the-art facility that not only provides Oklahoma State football with a unique game-day environment and a roaring home-field advantage, but also with unrivaled facilities for daily operations located in incredibly convenient proximities.

Boone Pickens Stadium officially opened a new south side in 2004, a new north side in 2006 and in 2009 put the wraps on the west end zone project. And while the new digs put OSU on the cutting edge of collegiate facilities, the Cowboys still enjoy the home-field advantage that suffocates opponents with the tightest sidelines in all of football.

The result is that every fan in attendance is close to the action and very much a part of the OSU gameday experience in the coziest 60,000-seat stadium in America.

The west end zone project provides "BPS" with a new multilevel football operations center. Some of the new features include football offices, meeting rooms, speed and conditioning center, locker rooms, equipment room, athletic medicine center, media facilities, and hall of fame areas, along with a new training table. Atop the facility, Boone Pickens Stadium is ringed by 99 suites and 3,500 club seats.

The stadium was officially re-dedicated on Sept. 5, 2009, when the Cowboys opened the season against Georgia.

The wheels were set in motion on the multi-faceted, multi-year stadium project when OSU graduate Boone Pickens made the single-largest gift in school history in 2003. His $70 million donation ($20 million of which was earmarked for stadium expansion) spurred the "Next Level Campaign", which generated more than $100 million in gifts and pledges and involved more than 2,500 individuals, making it the single-most successful campaign in OSU history.

Pickens capped the fundraising effort in 2005 with his monumental gift of $165 million that will not only benefit Cowboy football, but will aid with the development of OSU's planned multi-million dollar athletic village. The gift is the largest ever received by a university athletic department.

It's not just the stadium that is changing. In 2005, the playing surface was replaced with Football Pro, a surface created by Millennium Sports Technologies. It is considered the best and most durable synthetic surface available.

Due to construction, official capacity at Boone Pickens Stadium had dropped to 44,700 before climbing back to an all-time high of 60,000 in 2008 when seats in the new west end zone were opened.

As a result of the completed stadium project, OSU had its highest average attendance in school history and shattered the school record for season tickets with nearly 46,000 purchased by the Cowboy faithful in 2009.

The Oklahoma State Cowboys now take to the field from the northwest corner of the stadium in front of the OSU student section. The tunnel walk has become one of the most exciting gameday traditions, as players file out of the locker room and through the halls of the West End Zone. The Cowboys storm onto the field after the opening of the black iron chute gate.

In the east end zone is the Athletics Center, home of historic Gallagher-Iba Arena. Atop the athletic center are the only suites in college athletics that can be utilized for football and basketball.

 

Top 15 OSU Home Crowds
Rank Attendance Opponent Year
1 60,218 Baylor 2013
2 59,638 TCU 2013
3 59,061 Lamar 2013
4 58,895 Kansas State 2011
5 58,841 Kansas State 2013
6 58,516 Texas 2009
7 58,476 Kansas 2013
8 58,274 Baylor 2011
9 58,141 Oklahoma 2011
10 58,030 Kansas 2011
11 57,799 West Virginia 2012
12 57,183 TCU 2012
13 57,019 Iowa State 2012
14 56,901 Grambling State 2009
15 56,709 Texas 2012

 

Perfect Home Seasons
Year Home Record
1910 3-0
1912 5-0
1914 4-0
1918 2-0
1924 5-0
1931 6-0
1940 5-0
1945 3-0
1957 4-0
1984 6-0
2011 6-0
5+ Win Home Seasons
Year Home Record
1912 5-0
1924 5-0
1931 6-0
1932 5-0-1
1940 5-0
1972 5-1
1975 5-2
1976 5-1
1984 6-0
1987 5-1
1988 5-1
2002 6-1
2008 6-1
2009 6-2
2010 5-2
2011 6-0
2012 6-1
2013 5-0

Six-Win Home Seasons
Six (1931 6-0, 1984 6-0, 2002 6-1, 2008 6-1, 2009 6-2, 2011 6-0, 2012 6-1)

Most Home Wins in a Season
Six (Six times: 1931, 1984, 2002, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012)

Most Consecutive Home Wins
Nine (vs. Bowling Green 1984 - vs. Tulsa 1985)
 

Boone Pickens Stadium
BPS West End Zone
BPS A-Z Guide



BPS Seating Guide
BPS Entrances [PDF]
BPS Amenities [PDF]
Parking Guide
OSU Campus Map [PDF]
City of Stillwater Map [PDF]
Visitors Guide
 

The opening of the chute gate is the culmination of OSU's entrance to Boone Pickens Stadium.

 

Bullet, with the OSU Spirit Rider, storms the field after every Cowboy touchdown.

 

Cowboy players leaping into the stands to celebrate with their fellow students is not uncommon following an Oklahoma State victory.

 

Boone Pickens Stadium is noted for one of the most intimate settings in college football. The close proximity of the fans make Stillwater an intimidating trip for visitors.

 

The "Paddle People" ring the West End Zone of Boone Pickens Stadium, wielding their trademark orange paddles.

 

Stadium History

OSU's football home is now far removed from the humble athletic grounds that served as the home of Oklahoma A&M football when the team was first formed in 1901.

In 1896, Dr. Lowery Layman Lewis first arrived in Stillwater as professor of veterinary medicine. Lewis became dean of veterinary medicine and later dean of the School of Science and Literature. While he was not officially linked to sports at A&M, the enthusiastic Dean Lewis took the initiative in organizing early track and football teams, encouraging students to sample different events and to participate for their school. Before long, he was recognized as "the most beloved figure" in territorial scholastic students. To students, he was known affectionately as "Old Doc Lew."

Dean Lewis helped locate the football field, placing it in a north-south position north of Morrill Hall. The patron saint of early-day athletics had been an integral part of the campus for fourteen years when in 1910 the Athletic Association heartily endorsed the suggestion to honor Dean Lewis by naming the athletic grounds Lewis Field. The new name was made official during the 1913-1914 academic year.

In the fall of 1919, the new Oklahoma A&M Armory and Gymnasium, now known the Donald W. Reynolds School of Architecture, was completed at a cost of $102,000. At the same time, Lewis Field was moved to its permanent site on the northeast edge of the campus. Shortly after the move, the field was repositioned north-south to east-west to "avoid the prevailing strong winds."

The first addition to the stadium came in 1924 with the steel and concrete portion of the south stadium. During the 1929-30 seasons, 8,000 permanent seats were built on the north side to bring the capacity to 13,000.

In 1947, the south stadium was increased from 20 to 53 rows and capacity climbed to over 30,000. The first permanent press box was added in 1948. Prior to the 1950 season, 10,600 more seats were added to the north stands, increasing capacity to 39,000.

The next expansion didn't come until 1971 when the cinder track around the field was removed. The field was lowered 12 feet and 20 rows of permanent seating were added to both sides.

The first artificial surface was installed in 1971 at a cost of $2.5 million, and the coaches' offices (now part of the Athletic Center) were constructed prior to the start of the 1978 season.

The stadium's press box was torn down and reconstructed in 1980 and the lighting system was installed prior to the 1985 season.

A second artificial surface was installed prior to the 2000 season and remained in place until the summer of 2005.

 

Stadium Timeline
Year Event
1901 Football began play in unnamed athletic ground north of Morrill Hall
1910 OAMC Athletic Council endorses suggestion to name athletic grounds after Dr. Lowery Layman Lewis
1913 Athletic grounds named Lewis Field
1919 Construction of the Oklahoma A&M Armory and Gymnasium pushes Lewis Field north to its present location. Original stadium built as wooden bleachers.
1924 Permanent steel and concrete south side seating added. Playing field adjusted to east-west configuration.
1929 Permanent north side seating
1947 South side renovations raise capacity to 30,000
1950 South side renovations raise capacity to 39,000
1971 Field lowered, capacity increased to 51,000
1978 Coaches building constructed in east end zone
1980 New press box added for $1.8 million
1985 Permanent lights added for first time for $750,000
2003 Lewis Field renamed Boone Pickens Stadium
2004 New south side completed, including suites and club seating
2006 New north side completed, including suites and club seating
2008 Seating opened in new west end zone, raising capacity to 60,000
2009 Completed renovation, including west end zone suites, raises capacity to 60,218
 
Oldest FBS Stadiums (West of the Mississippi)
Stadium School Conference Year Built
Boone Pickens Stadium Oklahoma State Big 12 1919
Husky Stadium Washington Pac-12 1920
Stanford Stadium Stanford Pac-12 1921
Memorial Stadium Kansas Big 12 1921
Rose Bowl* UCLA Pac-12 1922
Memorial Coliseum* USC Pac-12 1923
Memorial Stadium California Pac-12 1923
Memorial Stadium Nebraska Big Ten 1923
Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium Oklahoma Big 12 1923
Tiger Stadium LSU SEC 1924
Darrell K. Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium Texas Big 12 1924
Folsom Field Colorado Pac-12 1924
Memorial Stadium / Faurot Field Missouri SEC 1926
Kyle Field Texas A&M SEC 1927
Arizona Stadium Arizona Pac-12 1928
* Off-campus venues

 

A&M players pose in front of Morrill Hall. The original Lewis Field was located immediately north of this building.

 

A&M takes on Enid in 1909 at the original site of what would become known as Lewis Field.

 

Original wooden bleachers from the west side of Lewis Field.

 

Aerial photo of Lewis Field from the late 1930's, following the construction of Gallagher Hall.

 

Original press box under construction. It would be later be replaced by a new press box in 1980.

 

The fully renovated Boone Pickens Stadium was completed in 2009.

 

Store